Anxiety, feeling fearful, worried, angry, or nervous, is a common human emotion. It is uncontrollable and can stem from many other issues such as panic disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, social anxiety disorder, specific phobias, and generalized anxiety disorder (GAD). Common symptoms of anxiety are fatigue, irritability, muscle tension, restlessness, inability to concentrate, sweating, shortness of breath, rapid heartbeat, and dry mouth.
Home Remedies for Anxiety:
Home remedies are more effective in treating anxiety as they offer long-lasting results without side effects.
Almonds are rich in zinc and vitamin B12 which help prevent anxiety. This process relaxes you before bed to reduce stress.
- Soak 10 almonds overnight in water to soften.
- The next morning, peel off the skin.
- Blend almonds, 1 cup of warm milk, a pinch of ginger, and a pinch of nutmeg until smooth.
- Drink regularly before bed for best results to reduce stress.
2. Oil Massage
Message deeply relaxes and calms the body while eliminating toxins, making you feel better both physically and mentally.
- Use sesame, coconut, sunflower, or corn oil for best results.
- Warm the oil and rub all over the body, especially the scalp and bottom of the feet.
- Massage before taking bath in the morning helps to calm down in the day.
- You can massage before going to bed also.
- Massage regularly to get relief from anxiety.
3. Baking Soda
Baking soda calms nerves to rid anxiety.
- Add 1/3 cup of baking soda and 1/3 cup of ginger to warm bath water.
- Soak for 15 minutes.
- Shower immediate after.
- Repeat regularly to get rid of tension.
4. Anti-anxiety Elixir
This integrative elixir balances your overall energy level. Lemon juice reduces blood pressure by strengthening capillaries, ginger calms your stomach, and honey controls blood sugar instability.
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of lemon juice and ground ginger, ½ teaspoon of honey.
- Drink three times daily for best results.
Tea has a calming effect on nerves to rid anxiety. Dried rosemary herbs, chamomile flowers, or green tea are all very effective options for making tea.
- Steep 1 – 2 teaspoons of your preferred herb in a cup of warm water.
- Drink regularly twice a day.
- Add sugar or honey to enhance flavor, if desired.
6. Proper Diet
Diet plays a key role with anxiety. An anxiety attack can be attributed to low blood sugar, therefore eating healthy food can help control anxiety.
- Eat whole grain foods, seaweed, blueberries, green leafy vegetables, acai berries, maca root, chocolate, walnuts, and almonds.
- Avoid fried foods, high glycemic carbs, alcohol, unrefined sugars, and coffee.
- Eat Eggs and bread as a breakfast because they have proteins and natural source of choline (the deficiency of choline causes the anxiety).
- Eat food that contains omega 3s (fish oil) to prevent depression and anxiety. Eat 2.5 milligrams of omega 3 fatty acids daily for 12 weeks. Foods rich in omega 3s include oily, cold water fish, salmon, anchovies, sardines, and mussels.
- Eat food containing magnesium, vitamin B12, zinc, and anti-oxidants to control anxiety.
- Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.
- Celery contains large amounts of potassium and folic acid which prevent nervousness.Eat 2 cups of either raw or cooked 2 weeks to prevent anxiety.
Tips to reduce Anxiety:
- Deep breathing helps rid anxiety. Sit in a comfortable place, close your eyes, and focus on breathing deeply.
- To help you relax, try yoga, meditation, listening to music, taking a cold bath, or watching movies.
- Make sure to sleep for at least 7 – 8 hours every night.
- Write in a dairy every day to help identify what causes stress and anxiety.
- Exercise is good for health and effectively combats depression and anxiety.
- Lavender calms your mind and body, instantly relieving anxiety.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking as these increase anxiety.
- Cognitive behavioral therapy helps to control anxiety and stress levels.
- Make a habit of visualizing everything in a positive way. This helps prevent anxiety.
- Walking in the forest for 20 minutes helps lower stress hormone levels when compared to walking in urban areas.
- Sunlight provides essential vitamins to the body. Enjoy the sunshine to wash away anxiety.
- Learn to manage your time affectively to avoid stress.
- Plan your day in advance to avoid anxious situations.
- Take small breaks during the work or school day to calm your mind.
Have you tried any of these methods? Do you know any other methods to treat anxiety? Share your experience with us!