Do you know that commercial toothpaste is filled with many harmful ingredients like sodium lauryl sulfate, triclosan, titanium dioxide, fluoride, artificial sweeteners, etc. that damage your oral health?
The long term usage might result in mouth ulcers, tooth sensitivity, cancer, aspartame (a sweetener in toothpaste causing weight gain, rashes, headaches, chronic illness), fluoride (in toothpaste causes dental fluorosis, skin rashes, glucose metabolizing problems, stomach ailments), etc.
Due to all these reasons, most of the people are searching for natural alternatives to toothpaste. There are many products in the nature in which our ancients used them instead of toothpaste.
In the previous article, we came to know about natural toothpaste recipes but here I am explaining you about the natural alternatives to your toothpaste. Let’s get started.
Method – 1: (Baking Soda)
Baking soda is one best alternative to toothpaste that can be used to clean your teeth. It has abrasive nature that removes plaque and bacteria along with whitening your teeth. It neutralizes the acids in the mouth to prevent bad breath.
- Mix enough of baking soda with few drops of peppermint essential oil and water to make it a paste.
- Dip your brush in this mix and use it to brush your teeth as usual.
- Rinse your mouth thoroughly with water and make sure that not to eat or drink anything for at least 30 minutes after brushing your teeth.
- Or simply wet your toothbrush and dip it in baking soda, use it to brush the teeth.
- Regular usage of baking soda will gradually erode the tooth enamel.
Method – 2: (Coconut Oil)
Organic coconut oil has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that prevent many oral problems. Have you heard of oil pulling? The ancient technique used for oral health that reduces plaque and prevents gum diseases, toothaches, and bad breath.
- Place 1 tablespoon of virgin organic coconut oil in your mouth.
- Start swishing it all around the mouth for about 15 minutes till you get foamy and milky white.
- After that, rinse your mouth thoroughly with water.
- Then use a damp toothbrush to brush all over your teeth as a nice scrub to get white and healthy teeth.
Note: Make sure to do this process in the morning as the first thing with an empty stomach to get best results.
Method – 3: (Indian Lilac)
Indian lilac (or neem) has antimicrobial and antiseptic properties that kill the bacteria causing cavities, gingivitis, plaque and other gum diseases. It is an ancient toothbrush/toothpaste that provides long-lasting fresh breath.
- Cut a small neem stick (neem twigs) and chew on the broken end till it becomes soft.
- Then use this soft stick of neem to brush your teeth.
- Do it regularly to get rid of tooth and gum problems.
- Or simply rub your teeth with the neem leaves juice and wait for few minutes. Now brush your teeth with a soft toothbrush. Finally, rinse your mouth with warm water.
- Also, use twigs of orange, lime or eucalyptus or miswak tree as chew sticks to cleanse your teeth.
Method – 4: (Activated Charcoal)
Charcoal is used as a natural alternative toothpaste in Asian countries, especially in India. It reduces the stains and plaque on the teeth with its microporous characteristic. It also balances the pH of your mouth to remove toxins and fights against bad breath.
- Gently wash your toothbrush and dip it in some activated charcoal powder.
- Use it to brush your teeth for 2 – 3 minutes and wash your mouth thoroughly with water till you cleared all the blackness in your mouth.
Note: Make sure that people who have caps on their teeth should not use this activated charcoal to cleanse their teeth.
Method – 5: (Salt)
Table salt or sea salt will work effectively as toothpaste. It has an abrasive property that removes bacteria and plaque from the teeth and thus prevents many oral problems. It also replenishes the lost mineral to keep your teeth healthy and strong.
- Wet your toothbrush and dip it on salt (table salt or sea salt).
- Use it to brush your teeth for once daily.
- Also, add equal quantities of activated charcoal (or baking soda) and common salt in a bowl and mix well. Use it to brush your teeth.
Note: Be sure to brush your teeth gently while using salt as it damages the gums and tooth enamel if used roughly.
Method – 6: (Turmeric)
Turmeric has antiplaque, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that help to prevent gingivitis, toothaches, cavities and other dental problems. It also prevents bad breath and promotes oral health.
- Add some mustard oil in 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder and stir well to make a paste.
- Use this paste to brush your teeth normally and rinse thoroughly with water.
Note: Or mix 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder in 1 glass of lukewarm water and use it as your mouthwash. Swish it around your mouth for 30 seconds and spit out.
Method – 7: (Orange Peels)
Orange peels have limonene that breaks down the plaque and removes stains on the teeth. Vitamin C helps to prevent the growth of micro-organisms that cause bad breath, tooth or gum problems.
- Wet your toothbrush and dip it in the dried orange peel powder.
- Use it to brush the teeth as normal for 2 minutes.
- Do it on regular basis to get rid of stains with its d – limonene compound.
Note: Or gently rub your inner portion of fresh orange peels directly on the teeth and rinse off your mouth thoroughly with water after 5 minutes. Repeat it regularly.
Method – 8: (Hydrogen Peroxide)
Hydrogen peroxide has a mild bleaching property that whitens your teeth and also kills bacterial action with its antibacterial property. It also removes stains and plaque on the teeth.
- Add 1 teaspoon of baking soda in enough hydrogen peroxide (food grade – 3%) in a bowl.
- Stir well to make a paste and use it brush your teeth gently.
- Rinse your mouth thoroughly with water and repeat it regularly.
Note: Avoid using hydrogen peroxide if you’ve amalgam fillings, as it may leach mercury from these fillings. Also, avoid the usage of a regular variety and use food grade hydrogen peroxide.
Method – 9: (Bentonite Clay)
Bentonite clay has rich content of minerals that support your tooth mineralization. It also detoxifies the teeth to prevent gum problems and bad breath.
- Add 1 tablespoon each of bentonite clay and baking soda in a bowl.
- Mix it with 2 tablespoons of organic coconut oil till it forms into a smooth consistency.
- Finally, add few drops of peppermint extract and some artificial sweeteners to it.
- Stir well and use it to brush your teeth for once daily.
Note: Also, use white clay instead of bentonite clay to make your teeth strong and shiny.
Method – 10: (Licorice Root)
Licorice root has antibacterial and antimicrobial properties that prevent plaque and cavities to make your teeth strong and healthy with its compounds called licoricidin and licorisoflavan.
- Brush your teeth with dried licorice root powder using a wet toothbrush.
- Also use a soft licorice root stick as your toothbrush. Use it daily to get rid of the tooth problem.
Method – 11: (Dry Brushing)
Do you know that brushing your teeth with a plain toothbrush will act as an alternative to toothpaste? Yes, brushing your teeth with a wet toothbrush will help to remove the stains, bacteria, and plaque on your teeth.
However, it won’t give any minty mouth feel but prevents bad breath and other oral problems. You can also try brushing your teeth with pure water as an alternative to toothpaste.
Tips and Precautions:
- You can also use all natural soaps, tooth soap, Waterpik (oral irrigation), peppermint essential oil drops, herbal tooth powders, etc. as alternatives to your toothpaste.
- Avoid over usage or vigorous usage of these natural toothpaste’s and brush your teeth gently for best results.
- Consult your dentist for a regular checkup, change your toothbrush for 1 – 2 months, consume a healthy diet and drink plenty of water, reduce your stress levels, etc. should be done regularly to get rid of tooth problems.
Have you tried any new alternatives to your toothpastes? Do share your experience with us in the below comments section.