Urinary tract infection (UTI) occurs when the bladder and its exit tubes are infected by Escherichia coli (E. coli) bacteria. It affects both men and women but women are more prone because of the short urinary tract.
It is not a serious health problem if treated in time and won’t damage kidneys or bladder, but it leaves you in great discomfort and embarrassing feel with the symptoms like burning sensation during urination, urge to urinate more frequently, mild fever, cloudy and smelly urine, pressure in the lower abdomen and back.
Poor hygiene, kidney stones, weak immune system, sexual intercourse, urinary tract abnormalities, menopause, etc. are some of the causes of this urinary tract infection. Don’t panic about the costly treatments or medications for treating UTI, there are many natural remedies which you can follow them at home and get relief from it.
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is one such natural folk remedy used for treating many health and beauty ailments including UTI, weight loss, better digestion, lowers cholesterol, strengthen the immune system, etc.
Here are some of the apple cider vinegar properties explained that makes you to know how it works for preventing infection in the urinary tract. Have a look on it.
- Apple cider vinegar has a rich source of enzymes, potassium and other minerals that make it as natural antibiotic to prevent the bacteria or other germs causing UTI.
- It is acidic in nature which helps to stop the growth of harmful bacteria causing infection.
- It stabilizes the natural pH levels of the body that in turn helps to relieve you from itching and irritation.
- The acetic and malic acids in cider vinegar has the ability to foster the growth of beneficial bacteria and at the same time kills the bad bacteria causing the infection.
- This acidic liquid will increase the acidity of your urine and thus passage of more acidic urine will exacerbate the inflamed tissue that further results in more severe burning sensation during discharges.
How to Use Apple Cider Vinegar for Urinary Tract Infection:
There are many ways of using apple cider vinegar for treating UTI and bladder infections. But here we are providing you with the best of 2 apple cider vinegar methods for preventing the infection completely.
Method – 1: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
Apple cider vinegar clears the bacteria causing infection in urinary tract. Regular intake of cider vinegar will flush out the bacteria in the system to eliminate the active infection.
Steps to be followed…
- Add 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in 1 glass of water (normal or lukewarm).
- Stir well and drink this to get rid of urinary tract infection.
- Continue the intake of this drink for thrice daily till you cleared the infection completely.
- Or else, add some fresh lemon juice and organic honey (or manuka honey) in this mix before drinking to enhance its taste.
- Or simply consume this ACV drink at least 20 minutes before meals to get rid of the problem.
- Alternatively, pour 1/4 cup of ACV in 16 oz glass jar that filled with halfway with juice. Then add water to the rest of the mix. Stir well and drink it throughout the day to get complete relief from UTI and kidney problems.
Method – 2: (Apple Cider Vinegar Bath)
This process helps to relieve you from the burning sensation and other discomforts caused due to the urinary tract infection.
Steps to be followed…
- Add 1 cup of apple cider vinegar to warm bath.
- Stir well and soak yourself for 20 minutes to get rid of the acute symptoms of this infection.
- Regular follow-up of this soaking process will definitely help you to get relief from the UTI.
- Or else add 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar to a sitz bath and soak for about 15 – 20 minutes to get rid of the infection.
- Alternatively, add 1 tablespoon each of baking soda and apple cider vinegar to a large bowl of water. Use this mix as a genital wash to clean the genitals for twice daily till you cleared the infection.
Tips and Precautions:
- Include vitamin C rich foods and avoid sugary foods and beverages in your daily diet.
- Stay hydrated by increasing your water intake. Also, include tender coconut water which further helps to flush out the toxins and bacteria from the urinary tract.
- Be sure to urinate before and after the intercourse to prevent the spread and growth of infection. Also, don’t neglect the urge to go to the bathroom.
- Always prefer to use raw, organic, unfiltered and unpasteurized apple cider vinegar that contains mother (cloudy sediment at the bottom of the bottle) in it, to get rid of the problem. Also, be sure to shake it well before using.
- It would be best to drink apple cider vinegar daily to keep the whole system run perfectly and also helps to strengthen the immune system to prevent these infections in future.
- If your symptoms get worse or don’t improve within few days after using apple cider vinegar then it’s time to consult your doctor immediately to diagnose and take treatment as per your health condition, without relying more on home remedies.
- If you delay in consulting your doctor then you have to face some life threatening conditions like kidney infections or sepsis, etc.
- Also, use apple cider vinegar in supplements form like capsules or tablets, etc. instead of the liquid form for getting relief from the UTI.
- Remember that you should not attempt to use apple cider vinegar when once your body has succumbed to the infection.
Instead of using powerful antibiotics, just try these apple cider vinegar methods to cure your infection. Or do you know any successful cider vinegar methods? Then share your experience with us.