Cold sores or fever blisters are contagious skin infection which occurs in and around the lips, nose, mouth, and chin. It caused due to herpes simplex virus (HSV – 1) and it may stay dormant permanently in the body but gets active when you suffers from stress, weak immunity, fever, sunlight exposure, hormonal changes, etc. and forms these painful, fluid-filled blisters again on the skin.
Using over the counter medications can damage your body’s internal system in longer run, so prefer curing the problem with natural remedies that available at home. Apple cider vinegar is one best, age-old and most recommended natural remedy for treating cold sores. Let’s have a look on its properties to know how it gives relief from cold sores.
- It has antibacterial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that fight against the virus causing cold sores and relieves you from the pain, inflammation and irritation caused by sores.
- It balances the pH levels of the skin which in turn helps to dry out the blister by removing the fluids out of cold sores and creating a less hospitable environment for these sores.
- It is acidic in nature and the virus causing cold sores can’t survive in this acidic environment, thus it prevents this viral infection.
- It contains all essential nutrients that enhance the immunity system to fight against the virus causing cold sores.
- It has antioxidant property that prevents the virus attacks on the skin. It also disinfects the sore to prevent it from spreading.
Here we are presenting you a simple and effective method of using apple cider vinegar for treating cold sores. All you have to do is to simply follow the methods regularly without any interruption till it healed completely.
Method: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
- Pour some apple cider vinegar in a bowl and dip a cotton ball in it.
- Squeeze it to remove excess vinegar from ball and dab it directly on the affected areas.
- Leave it for few minutes and rinse it gently with lukewarm water.
- Pat the skin dry and continue this application regularly for thrice a day.
- Or apply a soaked cotton ball / cotton swab in cider vinegar on the sores and secure it with a bandage to leave it for few hours or overnight.
- Alternatively, mix few drops of fresh lemon juice or honey in cider vinegar before applying it on cold sores.
- For quick relief, apply tea tree oil on affected areas after using apple cider vinegar.
Tips and Precautions:
- Simply mix 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in 1 glass of ice water. Stir well and drink this water for thrice a day to cure the problem from inside. Be sure to wash your mouth after drinking vinegar or use straw for drinking.
- Always use raw, organic, unfiltered and unpasteurized apple cider vinegar which has mother in it, to cure any health, beauty or skin problems.
- If you have dry or sensitive skin, then never ever apply apple cider vinegar without diluting to prevent over dryness and stinging sensations on the skin.
- It is preferred to apply a lip balm or moisturizer after applying apple cider vinegar on the affected areas.
- Make sure to use a clean cotton ball or swab every time you apply apple cider vinegar on skin to prevent the spread of infection.
- Avoid applying apple cider vinegar directly to open sores, as it causes stinging or burning sensation.
Just give a trial to this apple cider vinegar method to clear your cold sores and feel free to share your experience or queries with us.