Body odor after a good workout or working for a long day in the heat (or) at outside is quite common, but unpleased or excessive body odor without much work is quite embarrassing.
In general, the body releases sweat from the pores and when this sweat gets contact with the bacteria (on the skin’s surface), then it results as body odor.
In some people, the apocrine sweat glands produce more of sweat and the bacteria will grow quickly in these moist, warm areas of the skin. So, this combination will cause body odor.
There are many internal and external causes for this body odor like emotional stress, certain foods, overweight, certain medical problems (kidneys or liver disorder, diabetes), genetics, poor hygiene, gastrointestinal problems, nutritional deficiencies, etc.
Unusual pungent smell, excessive sweating, cold hands, night sweats, etc. are some symptoms of body odor.
However, the usage of antiperspirants and deodorants will give temporary relief but the usage of natural remedies helps to control the growth of bacteria and thereby excessive sweating.
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is one among those natural remedies that widely used to treat body odor with its amazing properties. Here, in this article, we learn how to control body odor with ACV.
Is Apple Cider Vinegar good for Body Odor?
- Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is acidic in nature that neutralizes the alkaline environment and balances the pH levels to prevent over sweating and also creates a hostile environment for the formation or growth of the bacteria.
- It acts as a powerful bacteria-fighting ingredient that effectively eliminates the body odor causing bacteria.
- It contains many essential enzymes, trace minerals, pectin and beneficial bacteria that aids in proper digestion. This, in turn, prevents body odor caused by digestive or gut disorders.
- It also controls excessive sweating and removes toxins from the body with its astringent property.
- The buildup of toxins in the body will slow down the functioning of the liver and kidneys, which in turn results in foul body odor. Here ACV acts as a tonic that detoxifies your body and thus boosts up the functioning of the liver to prevent body odor.
How to use Apple Cider Vinegar for Body Odor:
Apple cider vinegar can be used in many ways for treating body odor, but here we are going to know a few effective methods to get control over body odor.
Method – 1: (Apple Cider Vinegar – External)
Applying ACV will prevent the body to emit excessive sweating and thus reduces body odor.
- Pour some ACV in a bowl and soak a cotton ball in this ACV.
- Apply it on all over your underarms and wait for 2 – 4 minutes.
- Then after, take your shower to get rid of body odor.
- Repeat the same process twice daily (once in the morning and once at night before bedtime) to get relief from body odor.
- If you’ve dry or sensitive skin then dilute ACV with some water and apply it on your underarms.
- Or mix 1 tablespoon each of ACV and lemon juice to 1 cup of lukewarm water. Apply it on the skin using a cotton ball and take your shower after it dries.
Method – 2: (Apple Cider Vinegar Bath)
This bath will help to get rid of toxins and bacteria on the skin along with neutralizing the body’s alkaline nature to prevent body odor.
- Pour 1 cup of organic ACV in your bathtub, which is filled with warm water.
- Stir well and soak in this water for 10 minutes.
- Repeat this ACV bath regularly for once or twice a week to get relief from the problem.
Note: Or mix 1/2 cup of ACV with 1 cup of water and pour this mix into an empty spray bottle. Use it to spray this mix on the odorous areas after taking your bath.
Method – 3: (Apple Cider Vinegar – Internal)
Consumption of ACV drink will flush out toxins from inside the body and helps to get relief from the foul body odor.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of raw ACV and a little honey in 1 glass of lukewarm water.
- Stir well and drink it to get control over the problem.
- Continue the intake of this drink for 2 – 3 times daily before taking meals.
Note: ACV is acidic in nature, which may erode your tooth enamel. So, drink it using a straw to prevent this problem.
Method – 4: (ACV with Baking Soda)
Both baking soda and ACV helps a lot in flushing out the toxins from the body and also prevents excessive sweating.
- Mix a pinch of borax, 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda and 2 tablespoons of ACV in 1 liter of water.
- Stir well and sip it slowly throughout the day.
- Repeat drinking it for 3 – 5 days and then take a break of 2 – 3 days and again take it to relieve your body odor.
Method – 5: (Apple Cider Vinegar with Essential Oils)
This combination helps a lot in preventing the body by reducing the production of sweat and preventing bacteria causing odor. Here are few ways of using essential oils with ACV.
- Mix 10 drops of witch hazel oil and 1 tablespoon of ACV in 1 cup of water. Soak a cotton ball in it and dab it on your underarms. Dry it for few minutes and rinse it off with water.
- Stir 5 – 7 drops of rosemary oil and 2 tablespoons of ACV in 1 cup of water. Pour the mix into a spray bottle and use it as your deodorant after the bath to get rid of body odor.
- Pour 4 – 5 drops of tea tree oil, 1 tablespoon of ACV and 1 cup of water in a spray bottle. Shake it well and use it after your shower or whenever your underarm stinks to get rid of the problem.
Tips and Precautions:
- ACV acts as a drying agent, so it’s recommended to apply a moisturizer after using it on the body to prevent skin dryness.
- Always use raw, organic, unpasteurized and unfiltered apple cider vinegar with its mother content for grabbing its amazing benefits.
- Rinse your underarms with a mix prepared by adding 1 tablespoon of ACV in 1 cup of sage tea to reduce the overproduction of sweat by sweat glands.
- Applying apple cider vinegar on open wounds or freshly shaved areas will cause a stinging sensation. So, avoid applying it on those areas.
- Regular application of ACV will increase the skin’s sensitivity to sun rays. So, it’s always recommended to apply sunscreen before stepping out.
- Drink plenty of water, consume a healthy diet, do some regular exercises to reduce your stress and anxiety, reduce your overweight, take your bath daily, eliminate caffeine content, quit smoking, avoid the intake of certain spicy foods (onions or garlic), etc. has to be included in your daily lifestyle to prevent body odor.
- Wash your clothes regularly after wearing them once to get rid of bacteria and thereby body odor.
- Also, wear fabrics that observe your sweat and moisture to prevent you from foul body odor. It is must to keep yourself dry and clean.
So, stop worrying about this embarrassing problem and start using apple cider vinegar to get rid of body odor. Do you know any other effective methods for treating body odor? Then share it with us in the below comments box.
Leave a Reply