Joints are the formed with fibrous connective tissue and cartilage that are used to attach two bones to move the body parts freely and perform its daily activities.
Joint pain is not only caused due to aging but also caused due to a variety of reasons like arthritis (osteoarthritis, gout and rheumatoid), bursitis, sprain or any other injury that affecting ligaments, strain or tendinitis, tendons surrounding the joints, etc.
The most commonly joint pain affected body areas are knees, shoulders, hips and elbows. Pain (mild to severe), stiffness, swelling, etc. are some of the symptoms experienced by joint pain sufferer.
Rather than using non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID’s) for treating your joint pains, try using some natural and effective home remedies to get rid of your joint pains in a safe and cost-effective manner.
Home Remedies for Joint Pain:
Listed below are the best home remedies that are widely used to get relief from aching joints. Follow these remedies at home to get rid of your joint pain.
Remedy – 1: (Turmeric)
Turmeric has an effective compound called curcumin which has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties which are essential for treating your joint pains.
- Wash, peel and chop a 1-inch piece of each turmeric root and ginger root (or use 1/2 teaspoon each of turmeric and ginger powder).
- Pour 2 cups of water in a pan and place it on the heat.
- Then add ginger and turmeric in it and simmer it for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Now add 1 – 2 teaspoons of raw honey in it and stir well.
- Consume this herbal tea to get relief from joint pain.
- Regular intake of turmeric – ginger tea will help you to get rid of joint pains.
- Or drink 1 glass of warm milk mixed with 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder and 1/2 teaspoon of honey in it.
- Also, take 250 – 500 mg of turmeric capsules but be sure to consult your have to consult your doctor to know the exact dosage and to get rid of certain health problems.
Remedy – 2: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) has pectin that eliminates the toxins from the body (especially in the connective tissues of the joints). It has all essential nutrients that are necessary for the bone development.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of organic ACV and 1 teaspoon of raw honey (or blackstrap molasses) in 1 glass of water (prefer warm water).
- Stir well and drink it 2 – 3 times daily to cure your joint pain problem.
- Or mix 1 tablespoon each of raw apple cider vinegar and extra virgin olive oil. Massage it gently on the affected joints. Leave it for overnight and repeat regularly.
- Or mix 1 – 2 tablespoons of ACV in 1 liter of hot water. Soak a clean cloth in it and apply it on the aching joints and remove it after the cloth cool down. Repeat the same for few minutes.
Remedy – 3: (Hot and Cold Compress)
An alternative application of hot and cold compress will help you a lot in easing the aching joints. Cold one reduces the inflammation and numbs the affected joints, hot one reduces the pain and increases the blood flow to relax the sore joints.
- Wrap both hot and cold compresses in separate towels.
- Apply a hot compress on the affected joints for 5 – 7 minutes and take it out.
- Then place a cold compress immediately for 4 – 5 minutes.
- Continue doing it daily for 20 – 30 minutes to get rid of the joint pain.
Note: Avoid applying hot therapy, if the affected joints are red, hot or irritated and don’t go with cold compress if you’re suffering from circulatory problems.
Remedy – 4: (Epsom Salt)
Epsom salt contains magnesium sulfate which is an essential substance used for joint pains. Magnesium in this salt helps to relax all the muscles and nerve endings which in turn relieve you from pain and stiffness.
- Fill a large bowl with warm water and add 1/2 cup of Epsom salt in it.
- Stir well and submerge your aching joints in this water for few minutes.
- Continue doing this soaking process regularly till you get relief from joint pain.
Note: Or mix 2 cups of Epsom salt in your bathtub filled with warm water. Soak in this water for about 15 – 30 minutes. Rinse your body thoroughly and repeat it.
Remedy – 5: (Cayenne Pepper)
Cayenne pepper contains capsaicin that blocks the substance P to make the brain not to receive any information about pain.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of cayenne pepper powder in 1/2 cup of olive oil and place it in a double boiler.
- Heat it till it gets warm and turn off the heat.
- Allow the mix to sit for about 15 – 20 minutes to get cool.
- Again warm the mix and allow it to cool.
- Repeat this heating and cooling process for at least 2 – 3 hours or for the whole day.
- Now take 1 tablespoon of beeswax and melt it.
- Pour this cayenne infused oil into the beeswax and stir well.
- Place it in a storage jar and leave it for few hours to get cool down and becomes like a salve form.
- Apply it on the affected joints and massage it gently for few minutes to get rid of the pain.
- Do this process regularly till you get relief from the joint pains.
- Or mix 2 tablespoons of cayenne pepper powder in 1/2 cup of warm coconut oil to make a paste. Apply it on the joints and rinse off after 20 – 25 minutes.
- Or simply apply capsaicin cream topically on the joints for few times daily till you get relief from the pain.
Tips and Precautions:
- Consult your doctor to know the exact cause for your joint pain, if it is accompanied by redness, tenderness and swelling.
- Also, if you’re suffering from severe joint pains that caused due to degenerative conditions (like arthritis) then you need a proper diagnose and treatment to get rid of the problem.
- Massage the aching joints with olive oil, jojoba oil and eucalyptus oil, warm coconut oil, the combination of essential oil and carrier oil, garlic oil, mustard oil, castor oil, etc. to improve blood circulation, soothes the inflammation of joints.
- Include omega – 3 fatty acids foods (cold water fish, chia seeds, flaxseeds, walnuts), fresh fruits and vegetables with antioxidants, magnesium rich foods, garlic, wheat germ oil, pineapple or bromelain-rich foods, carrots, onions, fenugreek seeds, etc. in your daily diet to get rid of the problem.
- Avoid processed foods, dairy products, red meat, carbonated beverages, tans-fats, sugars, food from a nightshade family (like peppers, potato, eggplants, tomatoes) etc. which cause inflammation in the body.
- Intake of certain supplements like calcium, magnesium, vitamin D, SAMe, glucosamine, Boswellia, etc. to strengthen your joints and thereby bones and prevent aching.
- Overweight is also a cause for joint pain, as extra pounds put unnecessary weight on the joints and bones. So, shed your excess pounds to ease the pain and prevent the problem.
- Drink plenty of water to remove the toxins from the body, softens the cartilage of joints and keeps you hydrated.
- Include herbal teas like white willow bark tea, nettle tea (either with fresh or dried), burdock root tea, dandelion leaves tea, dried juniper berry tea, ginger tea, etc. in your daily diet to get relief from joint pain.
- Stop smoking and drinking alcohol, prevent stress, sleep for about 7 – 8 hours, etc. in your daily lifestyle.
- Light weight training and cardiovascular exercises will relieve your joint stiffness and pain. So, keep on moving rather than sitting in one place with your pains.
Stop crying in silence about your joint pain and start using these natural home remedies to get relief from joint pain. Do you any other effective remedies for joint pain? Then share it with us in the comments box.